What is Healthcare Engineering Technology Management?
(previously named Biomedical Engineering Technology)Many names, a great secret! Are you interested in a career that will allow you to make a difference in the lives of people? Graduates of this program are called Healthcare Technology Specialists, Biomedical Electronics Technicians, Biomedical Equipment Technicians, Clinical Engineers and Biomedical Engineers. They interact every day with patients, staff, and the technology that supports and sustains life. This career allows you to enter a field where your daily activities maintain state of the art health care in hospitals and clinics. You will work in an arena where putting your mind and hands to work will make a visible impact in the high tech world of medicine.
You can learn more about the field by watching this short video. Click Here!
Like us on Facebook, and stay up to date with our programs in the Engineering Technology department!
Where do I work? How much can I earn?
Most of our graduates work in hospitals, some people work for the hospital itself others choose to work for a manufacturer. Some positions may require travel from hospital to hospital. Most people are able to work first shift, few, if any, weekend hours and make around $35,000 per year as a starting associates degree salary. BS degree graduates can earn $45,000 per year to begin. Almost all positions require the entire associates degree as a minimum qualification, regardless of previous work experience.
HETM at IUPUI prepares students for one of five best jobs Money magazine says "you’ve never heard of”
Are you confused by the name?
There are many careers which have similar names but different job descriptions. Very different job descriptions.This table compares the most commonly confused names, Biotechnology, Biomedical Engineering and Healthcare Engineering Technology Management.
The Associates Degree is a two year program that prepares you for a job as a technician in a medical environment. Technicians typically test, repair, build, and maintain the technology involved in patient care. You'll graduate with skills that will qualify you to work with medical equipment manufacturers, hospitals, repair services and others. (Please note: the entire degree is NOT available over the Internet.)
A Bachelor's Degree in Healthcare Engineering Technology Management is also available and is one of the few in the country. This degree also has a focus on the practice of medical equipment support in the clinical environment. Since these courses are offered through Purdue University it makes pursuing additional education easy for you. More information is available here. Improve your skills, increase your knowledge, advance your career.
Web Based Instruction
Combine the reputation of Purdue University education with the power of internet learning. Distance learning adds the flexibility to schedule study around your work and personal life. The result: an incredible opportunity to expand your career opportunities in the Biomedical field. Now you can learn where ever there is a computer connected to the Internet. IUPUI is proud to offer unique educational opportunities for technicians and those who would like to be in this field. College credit is available over the world wide web. All classes earn Purdue University credit. (Please note the entire AS or BS degree is NOT available online.)Student Outcomes
Upon completion of the BS degree, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in the use of the electrical and/or computer components of medical equipment systems as encountered in the degree program’s courses. Demonstrate a working medical vocabulary and knowledge of clinical safety requirements and regulations as encountered in the courses of the degree program.
- Use current knowledge of mathematics, science and emerging technology tools to solve problems and demonstrate solutions.
- Identify, analyze and integrate the technical equipment requirements with the needs of medical staff and patients as required in the courses of the degree program.
- Apply and design solutions for issues identified in health care technology as demonstrated in a senior project.
- Conduct, analyze and interpret experiments, and assess results.
- Function as a member of a 2-4 person team to complete a task in a timely manner. Demonstrate ability to organize work done by team members.
- Write technical reports; present data and results coherently in oral and graphic formats.
- Demonstrate skills for continued self-directed learning and professional development.
- Demonstrate ethical conduct as described in the university student code of conduct. Demonstrate knowledge of professional code of ethics.
- Demonstrate a respect for diversity as described in the university civility statement. Recognize contemporary professional, societal and global issues in case studies and course projects.
- Demonstrate quality, timeliness and ability to complete increasingly complex homework and projects throughout the degree experience
Get more info: firstname.lastname@example.org