Master of Science in Music Technology
Coursework for this degree includes required core courses and elective courses within a cognate field. Elective courses allow students to explore business applications common to music, industry and arts education. Students may select courses to fulfill the cognate field area from an approved courselist in the areas of business, communications, computer science, education, fine arts, law or others with the approval of the department and advisor.
- Submission of the online application to the campus.
- Bachelor's degree and evidence of substantial music instruction, performance, and literacy
- All official transcripts of undergraduate and graduate study
- Minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for the undergraduate degree
- E-portfolio comprised of online audio/video content demonstrating musical, computational, or other work related to music technology (minimum of 3 samples).
- Three letters of recommendation in support of the application (they may be on business letterhead or submitted through the online application link)
- In-person or telephone interview with graduate faculty member.
- Application fee payable through the online application.
Please note: The GRE is recommended but not required for admission to the MSMT program. It is required for applicants seeking a University Graduate Scholarship or Fellowship as a full-time student.
International applicants from other than English speaking countries must take the TOEFL.
30 credit hours* for degree, including:
- 18 credit hours in Core courses (at the 500 level or above);
- 6 credit hours in Cognate courses (at the 400 level) to be selected from Music, Business, Education, Communications, Computer Science, Fine Arts, and Liberal Arts;
- 6 hours of approved electives (at the 400 level or above) from the cognate field or other fields with approval from the head of the graduate studies.
Minimum grade point average:
- 3.0 average to continue;
- No grades lower than "B" in core courses and cognate fields will be counted toward the degree
- No grades lower than "C" will be counted toward the degree;
- Residency requirement (on-campus student only), 3 consecutive summers or 1 summer and a contiguous academic term.