Master of Science in Music Therapy
Students in the Master's program are required to take thirty hours of courses including music therapy, music technology, and elective courses. Music therapy courses focus on research methods, theory and scholarship as they relate to research, clinical practice, statistics, and to the thesis. The music technology core includes principles of production using music technology, Music Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI)-based music applications for composition and improvisation, and multimedia production including visual and sound resources.
- Evidence of music therapy board-certification
- Minimum Grade Point Average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for the undergraduate degree
- Submission of the University online application
- All official transcripts of undergraduate and graduate study
- Three letters of recommendation in support of the application (they may be on business letterhead or submitted through the online application link)
- Any information that demonstrates personal experience in music technology and musicianship (e.g., original compositions)
- In-person or telephone interview with the Coordinator of Music Therapy
Please note: The GRE is recommended but not required for admission to the MSMTh program. It is required for applicants seeking a University Graduate Scholarship or Fellowship as a full-time student.
International applicants from other than English speaking countries must take the TOEFL.
30 credit hours* for degree, including:
- 18 credit hours in Core courses (at the 500 level or above);
- 6 credit hours in Cognate courses (at the 400 level) to be selected from Music, Business, Education, Communications, Computer Science, Fine Arts, and Liberal Arts;
- 6 hours of approved electives (at the 400 level or above) from the cognate field or other fields with approval from the head of the graduate studies.
Minimum grade point average:
- 3.0 average to continue;
- No grades lower than "B" in core courses and cognate fields will be counted toward the degree
- No grades lower than "C" will be counted toward the degree;
- Residency requirement (on-campus student only), 3 consecutive summers or 1 summer and a contiguous academic term.