Dean Russomano Joins Delegation in Malaysia
January 19, 2017
After traveling for up to 33 hours and over 11,000 miles, the IUPUI delegation to Malaysia arrived in Kuala Lumpur to begin visits with Malaysian universities, IUPUI alumni and future Jaguars.
- To strengthen existing partnerships and forge foundations for new ones
- To recognize the success of our outstanding IUPUI alumni in Malaysia
- Chancellor Nasser H. Paydar
- Dean David Russomanno, School of Engineering and Technology
- Assistant Vice Chancellor Gil Latz, Office of International Affairs
- Professor Ali Jafari, School of Engineering and Technology
- Tim Diemer, Director of International Services in the School of Engineering and Technology
- Becky Wood, Assistant to the Chancellor for Communications
The Yong family graciously hosted the delegation for afternoon brunch and an outing in the Genting Highlands. The Yong’s three children — Tzen Wae, Sien Wae and Mien Dee — all graduated from IUPUI. Tzen Wae and Sien Wae studied in the School of Engineering and Technology; Mien Dee studied finance in at Kelley Indy and went on for her master’s in management information systems at Kelley in Bloomington. Mien Dee shared her excitement about receiving an IU Tried and True mailing from the Alumni Association.
The day was filled with the incredible beauty of the Titiwangsa Mountains, including a tram ride into skies so clear that Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur about 32 miles to the southwest were visible.
Even with those wonders, nothing could surpass the hospitality of every member of the Yong family from Mr. and Mrs. Yong, who generously opened their lovely home to our group.
This evening the IUPUI delegation hosted a special dinner for Tan Sri Ahmed Tajuddin, Pro Vice Chancellor of Universiti Tenaga Nasional (UNITEN); Professor Datuk Dr. Shahrin Bin Sahib, Vice Chancellor and President of Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka and graduate of IUPUI; and Dato’ Shaari Md Nor, Director of the Tenaga Foundation, among other important guests.
Tomorrow, the IUPUI delegation will be visiting UNITEN and talking with Malaysian students there who will be coming to IUPUI to study engineering.