The School of Engineering and Technology was formed in 1972 and is the successor to Purdue University programs that began in Indianapolis in 1940. The first Purdue University courses in the city were defense training courses sponsored by the U.S. Office of Education. After World War II, the curriculum was changed from a certificate to a diploma program. Three technical-institute programs were established: drafting and mechanical technology, electrical technology, and supervision and production technology. Ten students graduated at the first commencement in 1947. Freshman engineering courses were added in 1948; the Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree was first offered in 1969.
Today the school offers undergraduate and graduate programs leading to Purdue University degrees. Several of the programs have transfer and articulation agreements with a few Indiana colleges and universities as well as with international institutions abroad.